Prospective students may use our online application to apply. In addition to the completed application form and fee, applications for the English MA, MA/Phd, and PhD programs should include the following materials:
- A personal statement detailing plans for graduate study
- Official transcripts from all previous institutions of higher learning
- Three letters of recommendation
- A writing sample of 15-20 pages of critical prose, preferably in the applicant's prospective field of specialization.
The GRE is not required for applicants to the MA or PhD programs in English, but applicants may submit GRE scores if they wish.
Applications must be complete by February 1 to receive consideration for funding for the following academic year.
Choosing a program: MA, PhD, or MA/PhD
Prospective students should apply
- to the MA program if you wish to pursue a terminal MA in English, without continuing on to the PhD
- to the PhD program if you wish to earn a PhD in English, and already hold an MA in English
- to the MA/PhD program if you wish to earn a PhD in English and do not already hold an MA in English
For questions regarding application procedures, please contact Ms. Julie James at firstname.lastname@example.org or Catholic University's Office of Graduate Studies at 202-319-5247. For course information, see the English Department's Complete Course Descriptions. For academic questions about the department or its graduate programs, contact Dr. Tobias Gregory, Director of Graduate Studies in English at email@example.com.