Past Reading Lists
- “Has Fiction Lost Its Faith?” Paul Elie
- “The Catholic Writer Today,” Dana Gioia
- “Cultural Anorexia: Doubting the Decline of Faith in Fiction,” Gregory Wolf
- Charming Billy, Alice McDermott
- Mariette in Ecstasy, Ron Hansen
- “The Catholic Imagination in Modern American Poetry,” James Matthew Wilson
- Some Permanent Things, James Matthew Wilson
- In the Garden of the North American Martyrs, Tobias Wolff
- “How to Think Like a Poet,” Ryan Wilson
- Selected Poems, Ryan Wilson
- 99 Poems: New and Selected, Dana Gioia
- Lit: A Memoir, Mary Karr
- Gilead, Marilynne Robison
- Silence, Shusaku Endo
- The Oracles Fell Silent, Lee Oser
- Saint Sinatra and Other Poems, Angela Alaimo O'Donnell
- St. Paul Lives Here (In Minnesota), Zach Czaia
- "A Good Man is Hard to Find" and "Catholic Novelists and their Readers," Flannery O'Connor
- "The Five Wounds" and "Night at the Fiestas," Kirsten Valdez Quade
- What Happened to Sophie Wilder, Christopher Beha
- Film: Silence (Martin Scorsese, 2016)
- Wolf in White Van, John Darnielle
- "The Detective of Dreams" and "The Fifth Head of Cerberus," Gene Wolfe
- Film: The Innocents (Anne Fontaine, 2016)
- Boxers & Saints, Gene Luen Yang
- Redeployment by Phil Klay
- The Stranger World by Ryan Wilson
- Some Bore Gifts by A.G. Harmon
- Film: Lady Bird (Dir. Greta Gerwig).
- The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott.
- Universal Harvester by John Darnielle.
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders.
- Film: Tree of Life (Dir. Terrence Malick).
- 99 Stories of God by Joy Williams
- LaRose by Louise Erdrich
- I Want to Show You More by Jamie Quatro
- Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin
- This Our Exile by Joshua Hren
- Confession of X by Suzanne Wolfe
- The Cloister by James Carroll
- Oregon Confetti by Lee Oser
- The Hummingbird's Daughterby Luis Alberto Urrea
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- Signals by Tim Gautreaux
- Walking to Martha's Vineyardby Franz Wright
- Doubt: A Parable by John Patrick Shanley (film and play)
- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
- Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
- Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
- Truth in Fiction: Contemporary Literature and the Catholic Imagination.
Library exhibit and reception at Mullen Library. Friday, November 16 @ 5pm.
Why Theology Mattered to Shakespeare: Chaucer, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the Predestination Crisis
Lecture by Lee Oser. Wednesday, September 12 @ 5pm. Pryzbyla Center, Great Room C. Sponsored by ALSCW.
The Literature You Save May Be Your Own: Forging an Idiom of Continuity in the Catholic Literary Tradition
Lecture and new fiction by Joshua Hren and Lee Oser. Wednesday, September 12 @ 7pm. Pryzbyla Center, Great Room C.
Traditions of Eloquence: The Jesuits and Modern Rhetorical Studies
Lecture by Cinthia Gannett and John Brereton. Wednesday, October 24 @ 2pm. Pryzbyla Center, Great Room C, Catholic University of America.
Angela Alaimo O'Donnell"Saints, Sinners, and Pilgrims: Incarnations of the Catholic Immagination"Friday, April 6, 2018 at 6pm.May Gallery, Mullen Library, CUA.
- Some Bore Gifts
Short Fiction reading with A.G. Harmon
Wednesday, November 15, 2017, Columbus School of Law Courtroom. 5:30pm.
- Poetry Night with Ryan Wilson and Maryann Corbett: 6pm, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017, Keane Auditorium (McGivney Hall), The Catholic University of America.
- Flannery O'Connor: Acts of Redemption Film Screening & Discussion with Mark Bosco, SJ: 6pm, Friday, September 29, 2017, Hannan 108, The Catholic University of America
- "Communion of Saints": Poetry Reading with Susan L. Miller: 6pm Thursday, March 16, 2017, Hannan 106, The Catholic University of America
- "Creating Flannery O'Connor": Guest Lecture with Daniel Moran, Ph.D.: 6pm Thursday, February 9, 2017, Keane Auditorium, The Catholic University of America
- "St. Peter's B-List": Poetry Reading with Rachel Graham, Terry Kirts, Gerry LaFemina, Susan L. Miller, Angela Alaimo O'Donnell, Susanna Rich, and editor Mary Ann B. Miller: 6pm Friday, November 18, 2016, Hannan 108, the Catholic University of America
- "Uncommon Grace: The Life of Flannery O'Connor": Film Screening and Discussion with Bridget Kurt and Dan Kurt: 5pm Friday, November 11, 2016, Hannan 108, The Catholic University of America
- Poetry Reading with Dana Gioia: 6pm Friday, April 22, 2016
Keane Auditorium, The Catholic University of America
- “The Stranger World”: An Evening of Poetry and Music with Ryan Wilson: 7pm Monday, March 21, 2016 Pryzbyla Center Great Room A, The Catholic University of America
- "Art is a Jealous God: Aesthetic Autonomy and the Claims of the Divine" Guest lecture with James Matthew Wilson, Ph.D. (Villanova University): 6pm Friday, February 5, 2016 Hannan 108, The Catholic University of America